February 23, 2012

The Art of the Brick

Growing up in the country as an only child I had plenty of free time.  Typically I explored the great outdoors, but on rainy days I retreated to the basement to play.  Once downstairs I pulled out the boxes of G.I. Joes, Hot Wheels, and Lincoln Logs.  However, the real fun began when I opened my enormous box of Legos. They provided countless hours of entertainment, developed my critical thinking skills, and allowed me to escape into my own little world.

I truly believed I was a skilled Lego craftsman until I discovered Nathan Sawaya's sculptures.  






















































Journalist Scott Jones said, “Sawaya is a surrealist mash-up of forms and artists. Imagine Frank Lloyd Wright crossed with Ray Harryhausen, or Auguste Rodin crossed with Shigeru Miyamoto, and you start to get a sense of where Sawaya is coming from.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment