July 9, 2012

For A Good Cause

Five or six years ago during the early days of 10studios I compiled an eclectic mix of 70 works to demonstrate the seven elements of art.  Pieces ranged from drawings and paintings to a small cafe size table and two chairs.  Over time many of these works were purchased by family, friends, community members and the occasional stranger.  However, some still remain, sealed in the basement archives.

Recently John Cartwright, a member of Thodos Dance Chicago, approached me about donating a piece of art for a silent auction.  Humbled, I graciously opened the archives and offered three pieces.  

This large still life drawing of apples was created during a demonstration for a small group of high school students in Hancock County.  
















While eating a gala and granny smith apples I drew the progression of consumption.  Each new image overlapped the previous one and created a cubist style.  After the real apples were long gone I returned to the piece adding thick amounts of oil pastel breathing new life into the apples.  

During my non-objective faze I created these two acrylic paintings: Thing 1 and Thing 2.





















Each piece is constructed from multiple layers of color and line. 

I now anxiously await the auction and encourage you to check out the other pieces of work available. 

Have you ever participated in a silent auction?  What did you purchase? 

No comments:

Post a Comment