July 9, 2012

The Art of Travel





















I posses a misunderstanding of how vacation should look.  

(A + B = C) Time off is represented by (A), work is represented by (B), and vacation is represented by (C).
 
My parents are to blame.

My mom, being an educator, always had summers off while my dad was allotted a set number of days.  During the summer months my dad spent his vacation days around the house completing major DIY projects around the house.   

When we did travel extended jihads to the beach for sun and surf were out of the question.  Instead we loaded the car for the weekend, drove winding country roads to an isolated town, and stayed in a bed and breakfast or small inn.  Nothing wrong with the beach, but my parents have never been much for sit, relax, and watch.  

Missions trips have been utilized as a means of travel too.  Four different mission trips have landed me in New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and Venezuela.  These are great opportunities because they allow you to make a difference in someone's life while experiencing selfish travel, but still not a standard vacation.    

Even my honeymoon travel could be considered abnormal.  While we did pick a romantic city, Savannah, we went during the hottest time of year, walked everywhere, and did not go on a ghost tour.  

I am not bitter about my vacation ignorance, but rather appreciative. 

Cities and towns are full of local flavor.  As tourist we typically miss this delicacy because we are, "just passing through," on our way to bigger, better places.  For the best travel experience one must immerse themselves into the local culture.

Golden Rule: do not be a tourist
- Rent an apartment or house instead of hotel
- Walk, ride a bike, or use public transit to get around
- Dine only in local restaurants versus commercial chain operations
- There is an app for that
















How do you like to travel?  Been anywhere interesting this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment